The role of the Farmers Market & Agriculture Education Assistant will be to provide logistical and customer service support to the Forest Grove and Cornelius Farmers Market. As well as support the Farmer’s Market Manager and Agriculture Programs manager with teaching and technical assistance as needed in the Regenerative Agriculture Programs. We are looking for an individual who is enthusiastic about local food, sustainable agriculture, and family health. The ideal candidate will be inspired by and fully committed to Adelante Mujeres’ vision and mission and will represent the organization in a professional manner among partners, community organizations, families and individuals.
Support the Market Manager in all planning and operational process of the markets
• Support ongoing Regenerative Agriculture Education Efforts
• Develop and implement marketing strategies for both farmers markets
• Design, coordinate, and implement ongoing communications such as newsletters and social media postings
• Support the organization with the weekly events and entertainment
• Take and keep records of crowd counts and other data that measures the success of the program
• Recruit and coordinate volunteers to assist during market season
• Model excellent health and safety standards and ensure volunteers follow requirements
• Coordinate weekly inventory of market material
• Event set up and tear down
• Staff the information, recycling or special events booths, and assist with special activities
• Plan for, solicit, and respond to customer and vendor feedback, comments, and concerns
• Provide excellent customer service including selling merchandise, helping the public locate products and vendors, assisting EBT clients with card transactions and other nutrition access programs.
• Support with Educational/Community Farm tasks. Such as weeding, bed preparation, planting, composting, irrigation, etc.
• Participate in other tasks outside of market hours, such as, tracking market currency, Produce Rx incentives, and other nutrition match programs
• Assist with season evaluation, planning, and additional projects
• Perform other related duties per manager’s request
• Complete and submit all necessary Confluence/AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner
• Comply with Confluence and AmeriCorps program policies
• Attend and complete all Confluence/AmeriCorps training and service requirements including orientation, trainings, team meetings and national service days
• Wear Confluence uniform and/or appropriate identifiers and required safety gear while performing service or attending official events
Community Need Addressed
Adelante Mujeres provides holistic education and empowerment opportunities to low-income Latina women and their families to ensure full participation and active leadership in the community.
Recruit volunteers, increase access to safe and healthy food.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• $7,140 living allowance paid over the term of service (approx. $1,298 monthly, before taxes).
• $6,195 education award (qualified student loans and/or education expenses)
• Loan Forbearance
• Health Care Insurance
• Child Care Reimbursement
• $100 Training Fund
• Professional development and networking opportunities.
• May be eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
• This position is a full-time / seasonal position with potential to become permanent part-time.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment