Christian Appalachian Project (CAP) AmeriCorps members commit to direct Service, intentional Community, and Spirituality/reflection in Appalachian Kentucky. Elderly Services Caseworkers help seniors without other sources of support access the services, medical care, and human connection that would otherwise be absent.
• Performs functions such as home visitations and goal planning for participants; easing the effects of isolation and allowing home-bound elderly persons to remain at home for longer periods of time.
• Develops visitation schedule to conduct home visits.
• Assists in planning and preparation of program-wide group activities.
• Provides services designed to enhance elderly person’s abilities to function at home in a safe, healthy manner.
• Completes all monthly paperwork in a timely manner.
• Attends scheduled staff meetings and trainings.
• Networks with other agencies to maintain effective relationships to support referrals and supports for participants.
• Serves in other CAP and AmeriCorps programs when doing so does not interfere with the above duties.
• Participates in additional training and enrichment opportunities as assigned.
Community Need Addressed
Lack of resources for elderly wishing to live independently.
Corps members will increase the socialization and access to healthcare for home-bound senior citizens.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
All food and hosing is provided for members who choose to live in community. The stipend ("living allowance") is $115 bi-weekly for members who live in community and $235 bi-weekly for members who live independently.
GED/High School Diploma
CPR, First Aid
Skills you will gain
CPR, First Aid, communication, awareness of rural geriatric issues.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment