Crew Leaders with Assistant Crew Leaders will co-lead a crew of 6 Crew Members on conservation projects around Utah. These projects include chainsaw, trail, and fencing work primarily. The Crew Leader position is designed to provide professional development for individuals in the conservation field. The Crew Leader will provide Assistant Crew Leaders with skills to successfully lead both youth and adult crews throughout the Corps season. Crew Leaders must have strong mentorship skills, and a defined leadership style. They will help facilitate crew member trainings including technical backcountry and front country skills, and conservation work. The position will be responsible for executing a high quality of work with Crews on chainsaw, fencing, and/or trails projects, while using scheduled time for crew member development activities. These activities include: discussion, critical thinking scenarios, and conservation lessons.
• Work with CCYC staff to implement operating policies, crew member handbook, grievance procedure, uniform and safety policy, and all other necessary operational policies and procedures.
• Punctually complete and submit daily and weekly paperwork, and other forms as needed.
• Manage finances for own Crew, and mentor Assistant Crew Leaders on finances.
• Implement service projects according to technical specifications given by land management agencies and CCYC Staff
• Implement and uphold safety procedures
• Maintain solid relations with project sponsors and partners and maintain high service project quality
• Maintain equipment (vehicles, tools, supplies) and purchase food and necessary program supplies, while staying within existing budget
• Foster an ‘esprit de corps’ and participate in corps activities as needed
• Work hard and live outdoors for long periods of time in variable conditions
• Assist with daily/weekly operational schedules of crews.
CREW MEMBER AND ASSISTANT CREW LEADER DEVELOPMENT
• Assist with training and orientation of crew members
• Aid Assistant Crew Leaders in developing their leadership style and provide continued support throughout the season
• Provide in-field guidance, training, and direction to crew members
• Implement development activities including: education, life skills, mentorship, training, field trips, enrichment activities, and service learning throughout corps program
• Conduct Crew Member evaluations
• Conduct pre and post corps evaluations
• Motivate Members and Assistant Crew Leaders through problem solving, creativity and adaptability
• Model giving and receiving constructive feedback with field staff in a timely manner
CCYC crews work varying schedules of 4-10days on and 2-6 days off. Typically, in a two-week time frame every 80-90 hours on, 50-60 hours are off. Crews will be camping in remote locations during time on. During time off crews are welcome to stay at our base camp facility in Monticello, UT. Summer youth crews work 5 on, 2 off, but are supervised for the entirety of the four-week program. There is typically one week off for Crew Leaders and Assistant Crew Leaders in between each season.
Housing, Living allowance, Training
GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• A strong leadership style.
• Experience camping and in outdoor recreation.
• Experience in outdoor work projects: Strong trail building, chainsaw, and/or fencing skills.
• High level of maturity and professionalism.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong time-management skills and ability to work independently as well as with others.
• Ability and willingness to work a flexible and varying schedule.
• Valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
• Must be able to pass a criminal history background check.
• Must be US citizen per AmeriCorps requirements.
• Youth corps experience.
• Working with youth in service related and/or youth development programs and principles.
• Working with public and federal agencies.
• First Aid/CPR or higher such as Wilderness First Responder.
• Sense of humor.
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 29