Breakthrough Miami provides an academic enrichment program that uses a student-teaching-students model to ensure that motivated, under-resourced middle-school students have access to excellent high-school opportunities, graduate from high school on time, and attend college. The program serves 1,200 5th through 12th graders. Teaching fellows provide essential support to scholars who are on this path. Teaching Fellows provide mentoring, academic support, coaching, program planning and implementation, and other activities to contribute to the success of Breakthrough scholars. Teaching Fellows will receive extensive training in a variety of areas to prepare them for a rewarding and successful placement with Breakthrough.
● Act as a role model to Breakthrough Miami scholars
● Provide academic support services to scholars under the direction of Breakthrough staff at designated Breakthrough Miami sites
● Deliver Breakthrough Miami’s academic mentoring curriculum in a small-group setting during the Summer Institute
● Mentor scholars on the skills and strategies needed for success in school, including organization, time management, homework completion, and study habits
● Work closely with assigned Breakthrough Miami site director on assigned mentoring scholar roster.
● Aid in the planning and implementation of Breakthrough’s summer programming
● Participate actively in all training, professional development, civic reflection, and service activities
● Reporting requirements include semi-monthly time-sheets and monthly data reporting.
Community Need Addressed
Breakthrough Miami serves under resourced students in grades 5-12 from throughout Miami-Dade County. Breakthrough Miami students experience lack of educational educational opportunities which leads to summer learning loss.
- Students will improve academic performance in literacy and/or math following daily academic instruction.
- Students will improve social skills after daily social skill instruction.
College Credit, Education award upon successful completion of service, Housing, Living allowance, Stipend, Training
CPR and First Aid certifications
Skills you will gain
Time-management, conflict resolution, teamwork, collaboration, event planning, lesson planning, classroom management, public speaking, presentation
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment