Spend your gap year with Amate House! Develop your leadership skills, gain professional skills, and start your career in social justice with our fellowship program!
Amate Quinn Center Compañerx:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary duties of a Compañerx are the following:
• Meets with clients, listens to their stories and determines services needed, providing resources, referrals and support to clients
• Accompanies clients offsite to courthouses, clinics, and other agencies as needed
• Connects with and researches social service agencies, schools, parishes, etc.
• Presents at various events to promote the mission and ministry of Taller de José and the unique partnership with the Quinn Center of St. Eulalia
• Maintains client files in accordance with Taller de José processes and protocols
Additional responsibilities of the Amate Compañerx are the following:
• Attends various community network meetings
• Assists with accompaniment outreach efforts at the Quinn Center, including social media posting and promotional material creation
• Provide feedback to Quinn Center program staff regarding workshops/programming (and possible collaborations) that address needs identified frequently during accompaniments
• Assists at Little Village Main office site as needed
• Notifies the Quinn Center Executive Director of responsibilities required by Amate House
• Attends staff meetings at the Quinn Center and Taller de José main office
• Performs other such duties as directed by the Executive Director (Quinn Center and Taller de José)
Qualifications and Required Skills:
• Proficiency in both Spanish and English
• Ability to identify clients’ situations/problems and link with agencies
• Computer literacy
• Ability to maintain accurate records and deadlines
• Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively with a diverse staff, clients, and community partners
• Ability to organize and keep confidentiality
• Ability to physically accompany clients on public transportation to various locations
• Mandated Reporter Training (will be provided)
• Virtus Training (will be provided)
• Completion of additional Archdiocese of Chicago compliance and safety requirements (will be provided)
Other Desirable Qualifications:
• Good listener
• Self-starter; ability to think critically and work independently on assigned tasks
As a ministry of Sacred Heart and St. Eulalia, the Quinn Center of St. Eulalia is a faith-based organization. Additionally, as a ministry of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, Taller de José is a faith-based organization. However, individuals of all or no faith backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to participate at the level with which they feel comfortable.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Each fellow is provided with opportunity to be matched with a professional mentor, a spiritual companion, and counseling resources. There are three service days and trainings for all fellows each service year as well as mentoring if wanted.
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Spanish proficiency required.
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Subject to criminal background check
21 - 29